The Heartland Institute, work-site, college sponsored financial planning courses make a big difference. Our classes cover the practical every day financial concerns of working adults with hands-on behavior enhancing exercises, factual explanations and straight forward education.
What We Provide
Some of the benefits of working with the Heartland Institute include:
- On-site college-sponsored classes that provide employees with greater financial knowledge, confidence and control over their financial future.
- Certified Instructors who work directly with employees to establish a personal action plan for financial wellness.
- A broad curriculum of financial wellness topics to support and educate all levels of employees.
- A staff that helps the employer to develop a company plan for ongoing financial education.
- Support for the employer to meet ERISA requirements regarding employee education.
- Improved employee participation in company-sponsored plans.
- A support team to provide the human resource department with education and counseling for specific employees.
- Fundamentals of Financial Management
- Basic Financial Concepts
- Managing your debt
- Properly protecting your family
- Building your emergency fund
- Types of Investments
- Retirement Planning
- Tax Strategies
- Maximizing your 401k/403b
- College Education Planning
- Long Term Care Planning
- Preserving your estate
- Preparation for Transition/Separation
The Heartland Institute has joined with colleges and universities throughout the United States to provide courses for organizations and their employees/members. Courses, designed to meet the diverse education needs of various groups of employees, are sponsored by colleges and universities and are always taught by qualified CFE Certified Financial Educators®. Course Topics include:
Why work with a CFEd®
- Every course is offered through an accredited college or university that is a member of Heartland’s National Consortium of Colleges and Universities.
- Financial educational courses are taught at the worksite and to individual learners.
- Financial education instructors are screened for their commitment to the financial literacy movement.
- Knowledgeable, certified instructors equipped with practical course material teach courses and pledge non-solicitation when conducting classes.
- CFEds® are certified both for their financial know-how and their competency in educating adult learners.
- CFEds® are under the auspices of a non-profit regulatory organization, the Heartland Institute of Financial Education.
- The due diligence performed by the Heartland Institute in selecting and educating CFEds® provides a partial firewall to organizations concerned about the liability of providing financial programs to their employees.
- CFEds® sign a “Standards of Practice” promising ethical and non-solicitous behavior when teaching.
- CFEds® may be listed in Heartland’s Registry of CFE Certified Financial Educators®.
- CFEds® provide one-on-one financial counseling to each program participant (and his/her spouse or significant other) on a voluntary basis as part of the course registration fee.
- CFEd® credentials and overall efforts help to ease company liability.
- CFEds® have the resources backed by Heartland Institute of Financial Education to educate employers on the real costs and benefits of providing quality financial education to their workforce.
- CFEds® stand ready to offer guidance to employers on how to evaluate the effectiveness of the financial program, including generating return-on-investment numbers.
By working with the Heartland Institute, companies can help mitigate financial literacy compliance issues with the federal government based on these laws and acts.
- Important Language in the 1974 ERISA Act
- “Companies that sponsor 401(k) plans need to, among other things, provide their employees with adequate information about 401(k) investing, their plans’ particular 401(k) investments, as well as related matters.” (The Code of Federal Regulations, Title 29, Chapter XXV, part 2550.404c)
- Government Accountability Office (definition of financial literacy)
- “The ability to understand financial choices, plan for the future, spend wisely, and manage the challenges that come with life events such as job loss, saving for retirement, or a child’s education.” (GAO-05-93SP)
- The Dodd/Frank Act (2010)
- Further encouraged 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations to provide financial education and counseling to adults.
The Consortium of colleges and universities endorses and shares in HIFE’s mission to provide financial education for adults and college planning for students.
This coalition of higher education schools across America provides the highest level of recognition for the Institute’s purpose by creating a professional relationship that unites a national non-profit entity, higher-education schools, certified instructors and coaches with individuals who need their help.
HIFE Workplace Financial Education
The Heartland Institute partners with colleges and universities throughout the United States to provide financial education courses to businesses and their employees, organizations and their members, and even civic and community groups who desire this type of purely educational coursework and information. These courses are taught by CFE Certified Financial Educators® who have both instructional and practical business experience. Our team of certified Instructors work with you and your employees to outline financial training that best suits your organization and its needs.
The results of these non-solicitous classes have been amazing. Employees and private citizens who would never take the time to attend a course in financial education are joining their colleagues for class at the community center, office or plant after work. As a further incentive, spouses/partners are invited to join the class for no additional cost.
Whether your employees need help with retirement planning, cash flow planning, debt management, investment planning or other important areas of financial education, we can help. Please contact us to receive more information.